I needed a basic sewing project beyond a fabric box, something that might be of some use. I decided that I needed a second saddle bag for my road bikes as I currently only have the one bag and kept forgetting to swap it between bikes.
Some research on the internet suggested that the ‘tool roll‘ style would be reasonably straightforward to make. I had bought some medium weight cotton (actually curtain lining, but it was cheap in the shop) earlier and had some velcro ready for a future project. Given I had the the materials I needed on hand, I figured I’d give it a try.
The first job was laying out the contents of my current saddle bag and taking some measurements. After looking at photos online, it turns out that I appear to carry a lot of emergency kit on a ride. Oh well…
Once that was done, it was to the project book and some doodling and planning. The original plan was 3 different compartments with a top flap to keep the contents in. I know nothing about sewing velcro or the correct method of attaching it so it won’t come loose. But then, that’s the point of a learning project…
With the planning done, it was time to head to the rotary cutter, the sewing machine and a lot of swearing.
Not a complex stitch in sight. Although rounded corners were also new to me. I figured for the velcro that I’d just stitch around it, then across it. Time will tell if it works, but it’s held together so far.
Some time later, a test to proved it all fits! All just straight stitching, with double lines for the dividier and the hem. I may have to go around join of the pockets to the body again, as it’s already coming a bit loose.
And then, on the bike! Excuse the washing in the background…
I’m yet to actually test it out on a ride, as it’s not really been the weather for outdoor rides until this weekend.
Changes from the doodles
Made the bag slightly longer, evened out the spacing of the pockets
Experiment with waxing the outer for some waterproofness
Rebuild it in a stronger material, possibly canvas.